Friday, December 31, 2010

I also promised someone that I would post pictures of the latest blanket that I made. It consists of 9 fat quarters from the sale bin at my favorite quilting store. It is a disappearing 9 square blanket. Instead of batting, I put fleece in the middle. It is super soft and warm. I almost want to keep it for myself or give it to someone. That is pretty much the way I feel about all the blankets I have made. Lots of crazy prints here, but they all seemed to work together.
I threw in some ties using embroidery thread to make it more durable.
This blanket was fun and easy to make. It was my first "pieced" blanket. I think that I would like to get into quilting eventually. Not sure if I have quite enough patience for that or not. . . . .

I was very happy with this and plan on making more in the near future. It is approximately 62" x 43". I love the backing with the pink black-eyed susans, also from the sale bin. I am posting this one to my Etsy shop. Hopefully, it will find a happy home!

Working on the house

Back at home after Christmas! Time for something new to do. I decided to put up the shelves that I have wanted in the kitchen. After spending all day yesterday shopping and finding the right materials, I went ahead and got started. Three 1' x 12" x 10' pine boards, stain, semi-gloss polyurethane, a China bristle brush, 200 screws, and a bunch of brackets came home with me. Trying to find inexpensive, nice looking brackets was difficult. I went to four different stores and didn't find much. I also looked on-line but was either put off by pricey-ness or bracket weakness. . . . . These shelves need to hold a lot and they need to stay up on the wall. I finally decided to go with some pretty simple ones (will show later). The wood is coming along nicely.

This is the wall where they are going to be. Very plain. Can't wait to get these up and display some dishes and prolly' some artwork as well!!!
Shiny, shiny semi-gloss polyurethane works awesomely.
Drying boards. . . . .
The boards need one more coat of polyurethane and tomorrow I will begin the tedious task of measuring and marking where the brackets will attach to the walls. Oh what fun!!! That is all the excitement for now!